How to Get a Passport Replacement?

Looking for a replace a lost passport? If your passport is lost or stolen and you are trying to figure out “how to replace a lost passport?” the first thing you must do is report it to the State Department. This step will help avoid the potential of having your lost passport used by someone who is not authorized to use your passport book or card. Today’s high levels of identity theft make this a critical issue.

Once you have reported your passport and then found the lost passport, you will still need to apply for a replacement passport. There are other reasons for having your passport replaced, such as it being worn out so that the photo is no longer recognizable or if you have run out of pages for marking your travels. You will need the following items to replace your passport:

Required Documents Needed for Passport Replacement

The State Department requires the submission of the form DS-64 for replacement passports to ensure that no individual person has more than one passport; this form is used for the replacement of both a passport book and card. The following documents are needed for both routine and emergency passport replacement.

The process of replacing your passport should take approximately six weeks, although it may take longer. It is important to request a replacement passport as quickly as possible using these steps.

Step 1: Fill  Out the Application Form

You will be required to fill out both a DS-64 Application Form for Lost or Stolen Passport as well as a DS-11 Application Form for New U.S Passport.

Make sure these forms are filled out completely and legibly, so you do not delay the processing of your new passport. Your photograph should be stapled to the form in the spot that is designated for the photo. Since the spot is exactly the right size required, make sure your photo matches the box.

Step 2: Gather the Supporting Documents

In order to apply for a passport replacement, you will need to show proof of citizenship, proof of identity and have a 2-inch-by-2-inch photo available. Copies of the documents are acceptable except for the photo, which must be front-facing and in color. Verify the fee you will be required to pay for a replacement and make a check payable to the U.S. State Department.

Once you have filled out the new passport form you will need to visit an acceptance agent in your area to have a federal agent witness your signature on your new passport form.

Step 3: Package & Send Documents

Once you have verified that you have filled out all the forms accurately and have gathered all of the required documents, place them in a sturdy envelope, so they will not be damaged. In most cases, Tyvek brand envelopes are often your best solution, as they are waterproof and sturdy.

The U.S. State Department recommends you send these via certified or registered mail to ensure that they are received by the intended party.

When you are planning to travel

U.S. residents who are planning to travel before they anticipate getting a replacement passport have other options, including:

  • Regional Passport Agency – Check with the U.S. State Department to determine if there is a regional passport agency in your area. Each of these centers will issue replacement passports by appointment only. Make sure you take all the required documents with you for your appointment, or you will be unable to get a new passport.
  • Expediting services -Replacement Passport

As mentioned there are many reasons why you may need to replace your passport. If you need to do so because you are traveling in less than 3 weeks you will want to use what is called expedited services.

There are several ways to take advantage of this service which can get you your passport within 24-48 hours if circumstances warrant that quick turn around.

Expedited replacement passport service is available in any one of the 28 regional passport offices. You can do this in person at a passport acceptance facility or by mail. Typically this takes approximately 3 weeks. If you need a passport very soon you still have many choices including special expedited service which can get you a passport in as little as 24-48 hours. You will be required to pay an additional fee to the U.S. Department of State.

Requesting Expedited Service in Person or by Mail

Proof of your emergency need is required such as an itinerary, travel tickets or official government or court papers requiring the travel. Be sure to include all of the below-mentioned documents as well.

Using an Authorized Passport Acceptance Facility

Expedited service is available at one of the 28 Regional U.S. Department of State Passport Agencies. you must make an appointment at the agency and bring proof of travel in the near future (less than 3 weeks), all extra fees, required application forms, and documents. Proof of travel should clearly indicate the urgency of need.

For a replacement expedited passport be sure to have the following:

  • Proof of emergency need
  • Application DS-11 filled out but not signed.
  • Form DS-64
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of your identity
  • Passport photos-adhering to regulations
  • All Passport fees
  • All Expediting Fees
  • Photocopies of IDs
  • Signed Letter of Authorization (this is if you are using a third party service to expedite)

Using an Approved Registered Expediting Service

One of the simplest ways to expedite a replacement passport is to use a registered government approved expediting service.

These specialists can assist you with all details of the process. They submit the applications and use bonded couriers to handle delivery. It is possible to have your replacement passport in 24-48 hours.

A complete list of expediting services can be found here

Remember, if your passport is lost or stolen, it should be reported immediately to the State Department to prevent unauthorized use. If you are in need of a replacement because of damage, you should include your damaged passport with your application for replacement.



    Hello, since your temporary passport is expired you must apply in person for a lost passport using a DS11 and DS64 app. and yes you should get the card for the additonal $30

    Carol Goble says:

    I lost my regular passport and I believe I reported it missing last summer. I have a secondary passport that has also expired. Do I apply for a replacement or for a renewal with the secondary passport that I still have in my possession? I also need a passport card to use for US travel as I have heard that my CA Driver’s Liscence will no longer be adequate after the January 1. Is that correct?

    No, as no address is listed on your US Passport

    James Oman says:

    do you need to change your passport when you move

    U.S. Passport Help Guide What time can I call?

    Hello, you can make an appoitment at a regional office by calling 877-487-2778

    Hello they gave me a temporary passport in Colombia and they told me when I get back home to Miami, just go to the office of the passports and give them the temporary passport and they should give me the original one,how do I do that? Do I need an appointment to go to the office and do that?

    Hello, you must renew the passport via mail, you will need your reciept and confirmation number from the embassy along with all documents required for a renewal passport.

    Teren Cooley says:

    Hello, my passport was stolen in Costa Rica and I had to buy an emergency passport at the embassy which expires at the end of this month. I was told that I would be able to have a permanent passport issued for free since I already paid as long as I had it done before the temporary one expired. However, when I went to the passport office at my local post office, the agent told me that she had never heard of this situation and that the only way to get a permanent passport is to start the whole process over and pay the full fee. Please help. Is there some documentation from the embassy I need to bring or a specific form that needs to be filled out?

    I am gettin my UK Passport and had to submit my US passport, it will take up to 3 months to get my UK Passport and my US passport back. I will be traveling INT during that time, what do you suggest I do for a passport?

    Yvel Moreau says:

    My passport book expired in 2015 and I want to visit Canada with vmy children. I misplaced it in my home (I put it up where no one can find it and now even I can’t find it). What do I need to get it replaced. I already took the picture. Also my son is 14 and is getting renewed. Do I use a new passport form or renewal form. He is 14 but and his expired last year.

    Hillarious! Notice the dates of my question and your response. Almost a year apart. I figured it out. Perhaps timely responses should be your goal.

    Hello, you can renew the temporary passport as long as it is still valid. If not you will need to apply for a new passport.

    Hello, you will have to apply for a lost passport since you physically cannot surrender the passport. you will need Complete DS-64 Application Form for Lost or Stolen Passport Complete DS-11 Application Form for New U.S. Passport Proof of Citizenship. U.S. Birth Certificate from State of your Birth. See the aforementioned link for a complete list of acceptable “proof of Citizenship documents. Passport Photo (2″ x 2″) Conforming to passport photo requirements Proof of Identity Passport Fee

    Hello, you must complete a DS-64 application on to report your passport missing or stolen.

    Hello, you can apply for an expedited passport please visit

    Hello, you will need to provide your booked confirmed plane ticket or submit a buisness letter.

    Levent Duzen says:

    What if my reasons for expided renewal is for work? How will I show proof?

    I had my passport stolen a while ago and I am pretty sure that i reported it stolen. I am going to Canada on the 17th of feburary. I want to book my flight but need to be sure that i will have my passport in time. How should I proceed in doing this?

    Robert Guild says:

    This is Robert guild. dob 12 20 1957. LIKE to report stolen passport I will call on Monday since no one is available at this time. Last four: # 8044 Have reported to Newport police department. California.

    My passport was taken by authorities when I returned from Mexico since it was reported lost and not reported found. I recently jpaid off child support arrears and am planning family vacation out of the country so need new passport and need to know what forms to complete, it wasnt lost but rather confiscated……help!

    I have an authorized temporary passport issued at the Paris US embassy. What additional documents do I need to get a permanent replacement?

    If an individual wishes to prove that he/she had previous U.S. Passports, but they were discarded, is there any official proof that The U.S. Department of State can offer? Thanks very much!