How to Prove Your U.S Citizenship?

In order to receive a United States passport, you must be a citizen of the issuing country.

In the United States, specific proof of U.S. citizenship must be submitted with your passport application in order to obtain a U.S. Passport you will need to know what is considered to prove your citizenship in this article we would discuss what is needed for a U.S. citizen.

States are now requiring that you also submit proof of citizenship when obtaining an “Enhance” driver’s license in order to comply with the Real I.D. Act.

Preferred Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

  • Certified birth certificate issued by a U.S. city, county, or state. The certificate must list the applicant’s full name, place of birth, and date of birth as well as both parents’ full names. It must include the date it was filed, and the date must be within one year of birth. It must be signed by the registrar and have the embossed, impressed, or multicolored seal of the registrar.
  • Consular report of birth abroad or certification of birth. These are issued for children who were born abroad to U.S. citizens.
  • Naturalization certificate.
  • Certificate of citizenship.
  • Current passport holders may also submit their unexpired passport as long as it is undamaged and not otherwise invalid. Passports expire after 10 years for adults and after five years for minors.

Other Acceptable Evidence of U.S. Citizenship

The following secondary proofs of U.S. citizenship are accepted when you cannot present the primary evidence listed above:

Letter of No Record + Early Public Records

If you do not have a birth certificate, you must present a state-issued letter of record stating your name and date of birth. The letter must also state the years that were searched for your birth certificate and that no such certificate was found.

In addition, you must show early public records giving your name, place of birth, and date of birth. It is preferred that these records were created within five years of your birth. Acceptable early public records include:

  • Doctor’s records
  • Family Bibles
  • Early school records
  • Census records
  • Hospital birth certificates
  • Baptismal certificates

Delayed Birth Certificate

If your birth certificate was not filed within one year of your birth, it may be acceptable if it lists the documentation used to create it and it is signed by the birth attendant or includes an affidavit signed by your parents. A delayed birth certificate that does not include these items may be acceptable if submitted along with early public records.

Birth Affidavit

You may also submit a notarized affidavit from someone who has personal knowledge of your birth. This should preferably be by an older blood relative and must state how the affiant acquired their knowledge. A birth affidavit must be submitted along with early public records.