Passport Information for U.S. Passport Applicant

A young woman holding her new passport, wearing a backpack

If you are planning an international trip, you will need a valid passport, and sometimes a valid visa to enter a foreign country such as Brazil and China. Both Brazil and China also have a Six Month Validity Rule where you must have your passport valid for more than six months before entry.

To obtain a passport you will need to have documents such as proof citizenship, application forms, and recent passport photo to obtain a new passport.

Application Forms & Other Documents

Additional Information

Common Question & Answers

Where Should I Apply for My Passport?

Applying for a U.S. passport would usually depend on how fast you need your passport. When applying for U.S. passport, you could apply with the post offices, county clerk offices, and courthouses that process passport applications.

For rush travel, if you are looking for expedited services because you are traveling in fourteen days or thirty days if a travel visa is required then you would have to apply via the passport agency, for more information about the passport agency.

You can apply for a passport at the following:

  • Post Offices
  • County Clerk Offices
  • Court Houses
  • Passport Agency – Emergency Travel Only

Please Note: Not all of the above offices provide passport services you will need to verify your local office has an acceptance agent.

Do I Need a Passport for My Newborn Baby?

Yes! You will need to apply for a passport for your newborn baby. The rules are different for minors than adults, so be sure to learn everything you can about the requirements and documents needed for a U.S. passport. If you are a parent who is looking to get a passport for your child, then you will just need proof that you are his or her parent by providing a birth certificate, photo ID and social security card.

My Daughter is 16 Years old. Should she apply for an Adult or Child Passport?

Because your daughter is 16 years old she would need to apply for an adult passport which is 10 years as opposed to a child passport which is 5 years. They will need to bring a photo ID or a photocopy of it, proof of U.S. citizenship/residency, and they must provide parental consent, which can be written or done by the parent coming with them.

Related Read: Do You Need a Passport to Go on A Cruise?

Do I need a Passport to Travel to Canada and Mexico?

A passport is needed for traveling by land, sea, and air to a city outside of the United States such as Canada and Mexico. If you are traveling by car to Canada or Mexico, a passport card is also a valid document. It is important to know if you are traveling by plane to Canada or Mexico since you will need a passport book and not a passport card as a passport card is only valid for land travel.
The information that you will be needed in order to apply for a U.S. passport depends on the type of passport services you need, such as new, renewed, lost, and stolen passports. The requirements and document varies.

General Document to Obtain Passport Book and Card

  • Proof of Citizenship – Long or short birth certificate for more information could be found here.
  • Identification – I.D. Cards. Driver’s License, Social Security Card, Military I.D. Cards.


It is important to know the difference between a passport card and a passport book, as well as what type of documents are required when applying for your U.S. passport. When traveling by air to Mexico or Canada, you will need a passport book in order to be allowed into the country. In addition, proof of citizenship and identification such as birth certificates, driver’s license, Social Security Card,s and military I.D. are required to obtain a passport book or card.