US Passport Renewal – How to Renew an Expired Passport?
Looking to apply for US passport renewal? Sometimes renewing your expired passport can be a complicated task if you do not have the proper documents, your original passport is damaged or lost, maybe incorrect renewal instructions.
When renewing a passport, either in person or by expediting the renewal application you will need to download online and submit the DS-82 application form for passport renewal in any of the following ways: by regular mail, passport offices, or a regional passport agency.
When applying for a passport renewal it is important to know that only expired passport which was valid for 10 years are accepted to be renewed as children’s passports which are valid for five years cannot be renewed. For a child passport, you will need to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport.
Confirm Your U.S. Passport Renewal Eligibility
If the following requirements meet the United States renewal guidelines you will be able to submit a passport application via mail, passport offices or expedited agency:
- Your current United States passport is not damaged (other than normal wear and tear) or lost
- The issuance date is not more than 15 years ago which is not expired for more than 5 years
- You were age 16 or older when your passport was issued
- You still have the same name, or can legally document your name change.
- Your United States passport has NOT been limited as a result of damage, multiple passport thefts, or non-compliance with regulations.
Who is Ineligible for Renewing A United States Passport?
Below is a list of items that you will either have to correct or get a new passport.
- Damage Passport – If your passport is damaged, and would not be able to verify information according to State Department requirements.
- Limited Passport – Owe taxes or child support this would need to be resolved with the agency before applying for a renewal.
- Old Passport – Expired Passport was expired more than 15 years ago.
- Child Passport – A child passport is an issue for 5 years, and cannot be renewed.
- Tax Issues – If you have serious tax debt with the IRS you would not be able to be issued a passport renewal stating 1st January 2018
For an applicant who is seeking expedited renewal services, you are now able to submit your DS-82 Application for Passport Renewal with any passport expediting company without any travel plans to have it expedited within 12 business days.
If you do not meet the above requirements you have to apply for a new passport using the DS-11 passport form or resolved the issues before you would be able to get a new passport.
Step 1: Required Documents for a US Passport Renewal
It is imperative that you review the document requirements and that you bring all the required documents (originals and photocopies based on the method of processing).
Step 2: Selecting a Renewal Processing Option
The time it takes to renew your expired passport depends on where and when you apply for your passport renewal. Applying via mail it could take as much as six weeks or more to get your passport renewed.
If you have expedited travel plans you could apply by going to your regional passport agency with all of the required documents or you could apply by using one of our passport expediting companies to get your passport in as little as 24 hours.
Traveling after 30 days:
When mailing your expired passport with passport documents it is advised that you place all your documents into a Tyvek envelope. This will ensure that your passport documents will arrive safely at the processing center. This method will take 4-6 weeks.
National Passport Processing Center Address:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90155
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0155
If you want to get your passport expedite via the State Department, you need to add a fee of $60 and on the front of the envelope write “Expedite”. MAIL the sealed package to the following address. This will take 3-4 weeks:
National Passport Processing Center
Post Office Box 90955
Philadelphia, PA 19190-0955
If you need to get your passport in less time than the passport expedited services via the State Department, you can also apply with a registered passport expediting company. They can get your passport in less than 24 hours to 48 hours.
General Passport Renewal Questions and Answers:
How to renew my expired passport?
Renewing your expired passport book is simple. If your passport book is undamaged, you need to submit DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal. It is important to know that you cannot renew a child’s passport as children need to always apply for a new passport using the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport.
Where can I renew my passport?
You can get your expired passport renewed via post offices. These passport offices have all required documents such as DS-82 forms, and other related requirements you need to get your passport renewed.
- By Mail
- Post Offices
- County Clerks Offices
- Regional Passport Agencies
- Embassies (Outside the United States of America)
What is the cost of renewing a passport?
The cost is determined by the type of passport services you are looking for such as expedited or regular processing. Our passport fee’s section has all fee’s for a renewal for both regular and expedited services.
How long will it take to renew a passport?
Processing time for a passport renewal will be determined by the type of renewal services you need. There are three types of renewal services which are regular, expedited services with post offices, and expedited renewal with the regional passport agency.
- Regular Renewal – 6 to 8 Weeks
- Expedited Renewal with Post Offices – 4 to 6 Weeks
- Renewal with Regional Passport Agency – Same day services at some agency.
- Renewal with Private Expediting Company – Same day services
How long before my passport expired should I renew it?
It is recommended that you renew your passport book nine months before your passport expires. This will give the State Department enough time to get your new passport back to you.
When I renew my passport will I get my old passport book back?
Yes in most cases you will get back your old passport book with a hole punch into it.
Other Topics in this section: