How to Apply for a Correction or Change on U.S. Passport?

Are you looking to get errors corrected on your passport?  If you have errors on a new passport or a passport renewal, you should have these errors fixed as soon as possible. Some typical passport corrections are an incorrect birthday,  misspelled name, and other spelling mistakes. You are allowed to fix errors as long as the passport is valid.

When submitting a passport for correction which is more than ninety (90) days old, you will have to submit a new passport photo.

Required Documents

  • Application Form: DS-5504 Application Form for Passport Name Change
  • Passport Book: A valid passport book will be needed and submitted showing the problems.
  • Getting a Photo: You will need a new passport photo if your current passport is more than 90 days old.

Step 1: Fill out the Application Form

For the passport agency to update your passport, you will need to complete the application form DS-5504. This is the Name Change and Passport Correction application form.

Step 2: Gather Supporting Documents

Once you have downloaded, printed, and filled out your application, you will need to collect all supporting documents such a valid passport and photo. If your current photo is more than 90 days old, you will need to obtain a new passport photo.

Step 3: Package & Send Documents

You will need to package your passport corrections and documentation in a Tyvek envelope. The Tyvek envelope ensures your documents arrive safely at the passport processing center.

Expedited Passport Correction Services

If you’ve got a trip coming up in the very near future and can’t afford to wait the several weeks that it may take to get your corrected passport processed, consider using expedited passport services in your area.

Registered passport expediters will collect all of the necessary documents for you and submit them on your behalf. They can severely cut down the standard processing time and can have your corrected passport delivered to your doorstep in 24 to 48 hours in most situations.



    Please call the US Department of State directly 877-487-2778

    I purchased a passport and am no longer going on the trip and the passport I bought is being sent to my ex’s address and the date it is being sent out is 7/19/2017 and I will never get it back if it goes to that address..HELP !!!!!

    Hello, yes you can go to any acceptance facility in Miami

    We had to pick up new birth certificates, which were $20.00 each, because they didn’t meet the new standard. We had to drive 1/2 hour on a Saturday morning to the only Post Office who was available to handle it. We paid an expedited fee for 3 Passports and planned out vacation for the end of July. The passports arrive and my son’s last name JONES is spelled wrong. W call and the only thing you tell us is we have to take another vacation day and drive to Philly, 8 hours away, we live in Erie, or drive to Buffalo, NY. You people are pathetic. You are supposed to be a service, but you are nothing but another government office which is nothing but an overpaid joke. This is why this country is in the toilet. If you can’t handle simple tasks, how are you going to handle the big ones? #dissapointed

    Where near in Miami Beach FL I can go in person? Thank you.