Could I Get a Passport if I Owe Child Support?

If you owe child support and are planning to leave the United States, you might be wondering whether you will be able to get a passport. Some people have been denied passports due to outstanding child support payments. However, the rules around this issue are not always clear-cut, and whether or not you will be approved for a passport depends on the specifics of your case. To determine your eligibility for a passport, let’s take a closer look at the relevant rules and regulations.

Could I Get a Passport if You Owe Child Support?

Parents who owe more than $2,500 in child support payments may have their passports denied. The State Department follows the child support passport denial program and sends a pre-offset notice to such parents. This notice provides details about how much is owed and the steps that can be taken to offset the amount.

How to Get a Passport While Owing Back Child Support?

Child Support Payment
Child support agreement on an office table.

If you owe less than $2,500 in child support arrears, you can get a passport by presenting your most recent passport or another form of identification. You can expedite the process with U.S. Passport Help Guide in just a few days.

To apply for a passport, you must get your name off the passport denial program if you owe more than $2,500 in child support arrears. To do so, take the necessary steps.

  • Getting off the State Department denied list requires you to go through some legal items with the custodial parent.
  • Pay off the remaining child support.
  • Have your state submit a name removal request.

How to Find Out if You are On the Passport Denied List?

To check if you are on the passport denial list or if your clearance has been granted, you can contact the National Passport Information Center at 1-877-487-2778. They will provide you with the necessary information to determine your status.


In conclusion, if you owe child support, the answer is not necessarily a simple ‘yes’ or ‘no’ when it comes to getting a passport. It all depends on your individual circumstances and the state laws governing your situation. It’s important to remember that a passport will be withheld until you are in good standing with your local child support enforcement agency.

Get an Expedited Passport in As Little as 24 Hours!

Looking to travel in 30 days? And need to replace your passport, renew passport or get a new passport. U.S. Passport Help Guide provides all passport expediting services with passport services starting as low $199.00

Get an Expedited Passport Today!