WHTI – Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative – U.S. Passport Help Guide

whtilogo-regularPrior to 2007 American citizens traveling to and from certain countries such as Canada and areas in the Caribbean did not need a passport. After 9/11, US government responded with new laws to protect our borders. More effectively, identify who comes into the country.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) states that all citizens of Bermuda, Canada, Mexico, and the US must present a passport or another form of valid and accepted documentation to enter or leave the US. The primary purpose of WHTI is to assist with the entry of US Citizens and legitimate foreign travelers while at the same time strengthening American borders.

What is a WHTI Document?

The Initiative commence in January of 2007 for all air travel. By June 2009 the land and sea requirements were put into effect. Under (WHTI) a citizen from Canada wishing to enter the US must present one of the following documents: an enhanced driver’s license, an enhanced identification card, a Trusted Traveler Program card, or a Canadian passport.

A US citizen coming back into the US from Bermuda, the Caribbean, Canada, or Mexico must have an enhanced driver’s license. They may also have a Trusted Traveler Program card or a US passport or passport card.

There are special groups that aren’t necessarily must present one of these cards or licenses. This includes US and Canadian children under age 16 who are entering by land or sea. Hence, they may use a birth certificate for sea or land crossings. There are also exceptions and other forms of documentation that can be use. This applies to the Native Americans, Merchant Mariners, and US military personnel.

Travel between the US and its territories did not change. These include Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam, Swains Island, and American Samoa. The U.S. Government has built a blog just to help traveler’s who need more information on the WHTI here.



More Relevant Articles

What Can Stop You From Getting a Passport?

July 9, 2018 By waleed

What Are the New Passport Laws for 2018?

July 6, 2018 By waleed

Top 5 International Travel Tips

July 2, 2018 By waleed

Online Guide to Working Holiday Visas for U.S. Citizens

June 13, 2018 By jhenr

16 Ways to Get TSA Precheck for Free

March 28, 2018 By waleed

20 Travel Apps for 2018

February 10, 2018 By waleed