Getting a minor passport when abroad

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I sent my daughter to live with her father in Panama 6 years ago. I was working abroad and was wondering what I do to get a minor passport when abroad. Now I am back in Nevada. I want my daughter to live with me. Her father is not on her birth certificate. How can I go about acquiring a passport for her being that her father is not on the birth certificate and I am in the United States?

Answer:  Your daughter’s father can take her to the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy to apply for a passport.

In order to get a passport for a minor , you must provide the following:

  • (1) passport photo
  • Original birth certificate
  • Form DS-11 complete
  • Proof that you have sole legal custody. The birth certificate will prove this being that your name is the only name on it.
  • Notarized consent that grants your daughter’s father authorization to apply for her passport
  • Copy of your photo identification with signature

Your daughter’s father may ask to provide the following documents as well. Parental records (medical records, ultrasounds), Documents from the hospital (wrist band, discharge papers), photos from the pregnancy or hospital, proof of parent being in the United States around time of birth of the applicant (any working documents, phone bills, tax returns), consent form by parent to live in Panama (migratory document), school records or photos of the applicant from birth.

Also, if your passport is valid, you can go to Panama and take your daughter to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate yourself. That is if she father refuses to take her to get a passport. For more information pertaining to this subject matter, you can click on the following link.

Visit the American Citizens Services in Mexico