However, keep in mind that simple possession of a travel visa is not a guarantee that you will be allowed entry into your intended destination.
- A visa only ensures that your request for permission to enter a specific country will be considered by an immigration inspector.
- Whether you are allowed to enter the country is left entirely up to the discretion of the officer who examines your documents at the official port-of-entry.
Types of Visas
The two visa categories are non-immigrant and immigrant. Immigrant visas are for those who intend on relocating to a different country on a permanent basis. Non-immigrant visas are available for a variety of purposes, including general tourism. Others who might get a non-immigrant visa include:
- Members of performing athletic teams
- Students wishing to study abroad
- Employees with specialized skills
- Journalists and photographers with appropriate press credentials
- Members of international organizations
Each country’s visa will have a different appearance. Some will be rectangular, others will be a triangle, a few will be nothing more than a stamp. The ink may be black, blue, red, green or purple, and the amount of information contained in the visa will vary widely between different countries.
Whether or not you need a visa to visit a particular country will depend on the individual requirements of your destination. Some countries require no visa whatsoever for those who intend on visiting for the purpose of tourism, but most require a visa for those who intend on visiting for study, work, or other reasons.
Basic Requirement for Travel Visa
Although each country will have different visa requirements, there are some basics that are common to all:
You’ll need to provide a properly filled-out visa application
One or two passport photos
A valid passport
You might also need to include your travel itinerary, proof of financial responsibility, letter of invitation, etc.
You can acquire your visa through the embassy of the country that you are planning on visiting. Most embassies have websites where you can find the necessary contact information for this process. However, you also have the choice of using an expediting service if you want to save yourself significant time and hassle. Click here to find out more.