What to Do If Your Passport Was Lost Or Stolen?

A Major Hassle

One of those inconveniences that cause you more than a little hassle is a lost or stolen passport or having. If you are abroad, such a situation can cause a real interruption in your travels. Aside from needing to replace the document to get home, you have to be concerned about identity theft, especially if the thief also took any of your other identification and credit cards.

Once you have determined that your passport is stolen or it is physically taken from you, the first thing to do is immediately report the situation to the nearest United States Embassy or Consulate. Depending on your location, you can first call and report the stolen passport at 1-877-487-2778 (TTY 1-888-874-7793).


Replacing a Lost or Stolen Passport

You will also have to complete a Form DS-64: Statement Regarding a Lost or Stolen Passport at the local Embassy or Consulate. Make sure you keep a copy of this document. If you are not traveling, you can obtain the form online and mail it to the address in Washington, DC, indicated on the form.

If you are abroad, the Embassy or Consulate will be able to provide a temporary passport to get you back home. To permanently replace the stolen passport, you will need to go to or contact a Passport Agency or Acceptance Facility and take your Form DS-64 copy and complete a new Form DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport.

Things to Remember

Reporting a passport lost or stolen immediately invalidate it. Because of that, it is no longer usable for travel. All the information on Form DS-64 goes into the international database for lost or stolen passports.

Take all the necessary steps to protect your identity with proper actions and notifications. If you are in an emergency and need to have your passport expedited U.S. Passport Help Guide recommend to it expedited with FastPost Passport. Fastport has been in business since 2003, and has a A+ with the BBB (Better Business Bureau).