Lost Passport – How to Replace a Lost Passport?

lost-passportI lost my passport or maybe your passport book been stolen?  If so the first thing you should do is report the passport lost. This will help the United States Department of State flag your  lost or stolen passports before it ends up in the wrong hands or you become a victim of identity theft. How to replace a lost U.S. passport is a simple process once you follow the correct documentation, and apply  using the DS-11 Application Form for New Passport.

Lost passports are commonly misplaced due to infrequent use. If your U.S. Passport was lost or stolen file the application form DS-64 for Lost or Stolen Passport.   If you found your passport after reporting it as lost  you will need to still apply for a new passport as the recovered passport would be invalid for us.
Regular processing take 4 to 6 week if you need it an emergency we recommend Fastport Passport. They are able to obtain your passport in as little as ONE business day.


Expedite my Passport Now!

To Report Your Lost or Stolen United States Passport

Contact a representative at the following number 1.877.487.2778 between 8 am to 10 p.m. eastern standard time: Monday to Friday except Federal Holidays.

Requirements for Lost or Stolen Passport

Sign the complete the Application Form DS-64. Be sure to read, sign,  complete and mail the entire application form to:

 United States Department of State Address

U.S. Department of State

Passport Services

Consular Lost/Stolen Passport Section

1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 500

Washington, DC 20036

Time Frame for Getting Your Lost Passport Replaced

Getting your lost passport replaced is a very simple process, but it still depend on where and when you file your DS-64 application form. Sometimes a stolen passport could  take as much as six weeks or  even longer to get back. If you find your passport book after you submit or call the State Department, the found passport will not be valid and you will need to re-apply for a new passport.

If You Are Traveling in Two Weeks or Less

Regular passports can be processed and obtained in 4-6 weeks. If you are traveling in less than 2 weeks you will need to expedite your passport. The best way to accomplish that is to complete the required forms, locate a regional passport agency, make an appointment and show up on time for your appointment. If you are more than 15 minutes late you will need to reschedule your appointment.

The required documents are the same as mentioned above however you will need to bring proof of immediate travel for expedited service. In emergency situations you can get your passport in as little as 24 hours.

Additional Lost or Stolen Passport Information

If You Are Out of the Country

Contact your nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

Invalidation of Lost or Stolen Passport.

When you report your passport lost or stolen the passport will be invalidated and cannot be used for travel.  If the passport is later recovered you must mail it to the address listed on the form DS-64.

Report of Non-Receipt of Replaced Passport

A replaced passport should be expected 10 days from being informed the passport was issued. If for some reason you do not receive your passport within 10 business days you should report this to the National Passport Information Center.  If you do not report the passport as not received for a period of 90 or more days you will need to re-apply for a new passport.