Expedited Passport  РHow to Expedite a U.S. Passport?

An expedited passport can be a lifesaver if you are pressed for time and need to travel abroad. To avoid the need for expedited service, check the validity of your family’s passports regularly so that you’ll be ready if a last-minute trip is needed. However, in an emergency or last-minute scenario, you have several options for receiving a passport rapidly.


Expedite my Passport Now!

A passport with expedited service may be requested in person or by mail. Anyone can obtain an expedited passport, as long they can show proof of the need for an emergency passport. The cost for an expedited passport is an additional $60 plus delivery costs. You’ll receive your expedited passport in approximately three weeks; however, you can receive it sooner than this if an urgency of need can be clearly shown.

Using an Authorized Passport Acceptance Facility

passport-officesAn expedited first-time passport or replacement of a lost/stolen passport is best acquired using an in-person facility. You’ll receive the fastest service at a designated U.S. Department of State Passport Agency, and there are 28 around the U.S. Locate the authorized acceptance facility nearest you and find out the payments types accepted and total cost. An appointment will be required at U.S. Department of State Passport Agencies, and you’ll likely be required to show proof of travel within the next two weeks.

Private Passport Expediting Companies

A number of private companies also provide expediting services as well as and rush delivery/courier services to meet your needs. Some of them operate within passport agencies and can submit an expedited passport application for you on your behalf. Make sure to verify that the expeditor you choose can meet your deadline and that you are comfortable with what they will charge you.

How Should I Send my Expedited Documents?

  • Use a secure package such as a Tyvek envelope so the contents of the mailing are protected from wear and the elements while traveling through the postal or delivery system.
  • Use a track-able delivery method when sending your passport application and personal documents.
  • For mailed expedited renewals, submit Form DS-82 and write “EXPEDITE” clearly in block letters on the envelope.
  • Never send cash; include payment in the form of personal check or money order payable to the United States Department of State.