FAQ Category: Immigrant Questions

I possess a US and Canadian passport. Which passport would be recommended for my flight to the US?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion: I possess a US and Canadian passport. Which passport would be recommended for my flight to the US?

Answer: Since you have both a US and Canadian passport, this means you have dual citizenship. Since you are traveling to the US, we recommend that you use the US passport to travel there.

US citizens will less likely be deny entry into the US than someone coming from another country. By using a Canadian passport, you may encounter issues as oppose to using a US passport. In addition, to avoid entry denial at the point of entry, a valid US passport will give a more secure entry. In addition, going through customs and immigration may be faster for a US citizen.

However, if your passport from the US is not valid, then you may face some issues. Though Canada is very close to the US and shares a border, passport officials do not cut any slack and will treat crossings from Canada to the US very seriously. So, to avoid any difficulties, use the US passport that you possess. On your return flight to Canada, you may use your Canadian passport to show proof of citizenship. This way you may avoid any immigration issues.

Fraud Prevention and Detection – Are these fees mandatory when applying for my L-1 Blanket Visa?

qaQuestion:  Are the Fraud Prevention and Detection fees mandatory when applying for my L-1 Blanket Visa?


Answer:  Any applicant who is the primary applicant of a Blanket L-1 Visa petition will need to pay the Fraud Prevention and Detection fees. The amount will be determined by the size of the business, how big or small the company is. The prices will increase as the size of the company increases. The prices will begin from US$500 to US$2,000 to US$2,250. The United States petitioner will be the one who needs to pay this fraud prevention fee and detection fee when applying for an L, H-1B and H2-B petitions when they submit the petition with the United States Citizens and Immigration Services. The petition pays the necessary fees at the Embassy/Consulate with a demand draft/cashier’s check. The consular cashier collects the fees.

If an applicant is to apply for an L-1 Visa under the L Blanket petition, then the primary applicant will have to pay the $500 fee. This fee will have to be paid each time a new I-129-S is handed in. The fee may increase to $2,000 or $2,250 if the applicant indicated that on the I-129.

In addition, the additional fee is for the Border Security Act. Inquire about this with the United States Citizen and Immigration Services agent.

Work Visa – What are the criteria for a family member to sponsor a relative overseas for a work visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and Answers

Question:  What are the criteria for a family member to sponsor a relative overseas for a work visa?

Answer:  Since your relative will be applying for a work visa, your circumstances will be a little different. An applicant that is applying for a work visa can get sponsorship. The sponsorship must be by the employer for whom they will be working. An immediate family member can not sponsor the relative overseas for a work visa.

Nonetheless, if your family member is an owner of a business or institution that can hire the overseas relative as an employee, they will be able to get sponsor. This is the only way that a family member can get a work visa. What we see more often than not, is that this is not the case for many. Furthermore, your family will need an employer who is not a part of their family as a sponsor.

In regards to a visitor’s visa, anyone can basically sponsor the overseas relative for that particular type of visa. For instance, if a friend, an uncle, a cousin, or a sister-in-law wishes to sponsor an overseas relative, they can. The question will arise however, why would they want to sponsor you for visiting purposes?

You must prove that you have a strong relationship with that person. Then, it will be okay for you to sponsor the overseas relative. Evidence to show proof that a close relationship exist between the person getting sponsorship and the sponsor.

Multiple Visas – How Would I be Able to Obtain Multiple Visas?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  How Would I be Able to Obtain Multiple Visas?


Answer:  If you wish to apply for multiple visas, you should complete as fully as possible DS-160 visa application form. Now, pay the fee for the visa application form and then schedule an appointment for your visa. When appearing for your interview, you can request that the officer provide further assistance for your application. Assistance you will need for the multiple visas that you will be attempting to obtain. If the officer does indeed approve your request, then you will not have to pay any extra fees.

Keep in mind that this double visa package is only allowable with a specific visa combination. The C1D and the B1/B2 visas are the permissible combination of visas to get at the same time.

Student Visa – Could I switch from work visa to student visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  If I currently have a work visa, can I switch from my work visa to a student visa?


Answer:  If you are currently in possession of a B-1 or B-2 visa with non-immigrant status, and wish to enroll in classes, you can accomplish it by applying for F-1 or M-1 student visa. Of course, this is possible only if specific criteria and guidelines are met. A list of  conditions are below.

An applicant can apply for an F-1 or M-1 student visa if:

  • The individual did not enroll in classes as of yet.
  • The current status of the B-1 or B-2 visa is still valid..
  • The applicant did not partaken in unauthorized employment.

In order for an applicant to change status from a B-1/B-2 visa to an M-1 or F-1 visa, they will have to submit an application to extend/change non-immigrant status by the use of form I-539. They will need to include the fees link to the process. In addition, the documents that go along as per the filing instructions.

If an applicant was to enroll in classes before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services approves Form I-539, then they can not change the non-immigrant status of B to F or M.

If an applicant wishes to extend the length of their B1/B2 stay and they are already taking classes, the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services will not extend their B1/B2 visa due to status violation.

Form I-20 – What is the purpose of I-20 form and what is it used for?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  What is Form I-20 used for? I think I might need one but I am not completely sure what its purpose is. Please assist me on more information about Form I-20.


Answer:  The recipient of Form I-20 will be a student enroll into a degree-granting program at a college or at a university. After receiving Form I-20, the student can proceed to use the form to apply for an F-1 Visa. When applying for the F-1 Visa, they will do so at their home country’s embassy or consulate. The main reason for the F-1 Visa is allowing the student to visit to the United States. Once here in the states, the individual can go to an academic institution he or she wants to attend.

When arriving in the United States, the student will have to submit their country’s passport to the Immigration officer. Within the passport there should be the F-1 visa, in addition to the I-20 form. After the passport is provided, the immigration officer will inspect the documents and may ask specific questions. These questions can be about the student’s field of study. If all goes well and the immigration officer is satisfy with the answers the student gave and with the documentations the student provided, then the immigration office will grant the student access into the Unites States on F-1 visa status. He or she will stamp the I-20, the foreign passport, and then issues an I-94 form.

The prospective student can request Form I-20 form the degree-granting institution he or she will be attending.

Immigrant Visa – Where do I find information to obtain an immigrant visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I am looking to apply for an immigrant visa. Where do I find information to obtain an immigrant visa?


Answer:  If a person wants to migrate to the United States for permanent residency, then the person will need an immigrant visa. With this type of visa, the person can work and stay in the United States legally. In addition, an immigrant visa will enable an applicant to make the United States their permanent residence. Later on if the person choose to become a U.S. citizen, then he/she can apply for citizenship.

In order to be qualified for a United States immigrant visa, the applicant will have to be sponsored by a relative who is a U.S. citizen, a U.S. lawful permanent resident, or a potential employer of the applicant.

When applying for this visa, the applicant must take 4 major steps into consideration to complete the process. These steps are:

  • The first step is a Petition. The applicant will have to provide a petition when applying for an immigrant visa.
  • Secondly, the applicant must get approval for the petition. After approval, the applicant should check the priority date then begin National Visa Center Processing. After beginning the process, the applicant should choose an agent and then pay the necessary fees.
  • The third step is to gather and submit all forms to the National Visa Center. During this step the applicant will collect all the necessary forms. Forms like financial and supporting documents to submit to the National Visa Center.
  • Lastly, the interview. The applicant should prepare for the interview and then take the interview.

Immigrant vs Non-immigrant Visa – What are the differences between immigrant vs non-immigrant visa?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I have a non-immigrant visa while my friend has an immigrant visa. What are the differences between immigrant vs non-immigrant visa?


Answer:  Currently, there are 2 different types of visas that are available for United States Immigration Services; they are immigrant visas and non-immigrant visas. An applicant’s intentions for immigrating to the United States will determine which visa type they will need to obtain.

Immigrant Visas

An immigrant visa is use when the applicant wishes to make the United States his/her permanent home. If the applicant’s plans are to become a United States Citizen or if they wish to stay in the United State and work, they should get an Immigrant visa. However, immigrant visas are limited in quantity. Therefore, the applicant may be put on a waiting list for an immigrant visa when applying.

Non-immigrant Visas

Non-immigrant visas are much simpler to obtain and will not require the applicant to be put on a waiting list in order to obtain one. Keep in mind, with a non-immigrant visa, the applicant will not be able to live and work in the United States past a specific period of time. These visas are design to have the applicant stay in the United States for a short mount of time with a specific purpose.

Immigrant vs Non-immigrant Visa

Immigrant visa is assign to applicants who wants to live and work in the U.S. Visitors get the non-immigrant visas. Most visitors tend to come for a short time. Also, non-immigrant visas are given to anyone doing business and plan to stay for a period of time and will return home. On the other hand, immigrant visas are also given to refugees and anyone who is seeking asylum. Immigrant vs non-immigrant visa is issue according to the applicant and the circumstance. However and in any case, the individual will benefit by coming to the U.S.