Application Signature – What are the requirements for a minor’s passport application signature?

 QUESTION:   I have a deadbeat for a father and he is out of my life for the past 15 years. I am 16 now and need a passport. Will I need him to be present with my mother and myself for the application signature?

ANSWER:   We have had similar questions in the past. Fortunately, since you are 16 years of age, you will not need to provide the proof of consent. Proof of consent is usually ask from both parents when applying for a passport if they cannot appear with you. A notarized letter from the non-appearing parent is what you will need in order to prove their consent. The application signature is needed from the people present when applying for the passport. You will not have to adhere to this rule since you are 16 years of age.

If you were 15 years old and you are not able to get into contact with your father, then we would suggest a different path. The approach would be to wait until you are 16 years of age, which you are, to obtain your passport.

At 16 years of age, an applicant does not have to have the consent from both parents. The consent of one parent or legal guardian is adequate. If there is an emergency need for your passport, then you will have to obtain the consent from your mother in order to obtain the passport. If you wait until you are 16 years of age to obtain your passport, it is less of a hassle in order to obtain a passport.

Get an Expedited Passport in As Little as 24 Hours!

Looking to travel in 30 days? And need to replace your passport, renew passport or get a new passport. U.S. Passport Help Guide provides all passport expediting services with passport services starting as low $199.00

Get an Expedited Passport Today!