Sudden Travel Plans – What should I do to Obtain a Passport?
Question: I heard that there are special offices that process passports very quickly. I have sudden travel plans to travel to Europe and need a passport in just a few days. Where do I find these offices.
Answer: Regional passport offices process applications in as little as one day if you have and can prove an immediate need to travel. Only Regional Passport agencies can do this. There are more than 20 such locations, you can find them at:
- You will have to take the following steps:
- Find the location nearest you
- Call to make an appointment
- Get the forms for expedited applications here
- Be sure to bring along proof of immediate travel and all the required documents and a filled out DS-11 form
So, these regional offices normally require a call ahead for appointment scheduling.
Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. But, you can use an expedited passport service which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks. Nevertheless, the quickest way to obtain a passport would be to visit your closest regional passport agency or employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you. So, you should be able to receive your passport in two weeks or less.