DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal

When looking to renew a passport you will need to use the  DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal this form is used when renewing a United States passport that is expired or near the expiry date for no more than five (5) years beyond the expiration date on the passport.

This DS-82 form like the DS-11 form is a fillable passport form and will print out in the .pdf format with 2D Barcoded Encryption. The State Department now has a Form Filler which allows you to enter your details and base on this information it would give you the correct application form to use.

When you are filling out the form DS-82 for Application form you will need a passport photo and some other information such as Date of Birth, Name, and Address. If you are traveling within the next 14 days or require a visa you can expedite your passport renewal as quickly as 24 hours.

To download fillable  DS-82 Application Form for Passport Renewal which is a PDF document you could download it from here. You will be ab


Expedite my Passport Now!

Requirements for DS-82 Application Form

You must submit form DS82 If the following are true.

  • Your U.S. Passport is undamaged and can be submitted with your application.
  • Your U.S. Passport was issued when you were of age 16 or older.
  • Your U.S Passport was issued in the past 15 years
  • Your U.S. Passport was issues in your current name or you can legally document your name change.

If any of the following is “NO” you will have to submit your application using the DS-11 Form for New Passport, and make a personal visit to your nearest Acceptance Agent in your area to accept your passport application.

Questions and Answers Relating to the DS-82 Form:

Question: I am unsure of my eligibility to use the DS82 renewal form. My current passport (adult) was issued 05/04/2016 and expires 05/03/2017 (it is a limited validity passport due to multiple passport losses in the past). Does this mean I have to fill out DS11 in person rather than DS82 by mail? If so do I have to do this at a passport agency (Atlanta or DC), or is it ok for me to do this at my local acceptance agency (post office)?

Answer: Because you have a Limited Validity Passport it would state on your passport if you could renew your limited validity passport. We recommend you apply using the DS-11 Application Form.

Question: I am 19 years old and my old passport expired April 15, 2015. I was 13-14 when this one was issued. Can I use the DS82 form to make the process easier for me online and mail? I am very busy in College would prefer the other form for mail in with my old passport. Please advise as I pass all the Criteria except: “If your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16”. I appreciate your consideration.

Answer: Because your passport was issued when you were 14 years old you were issued a child’s passport which is only valid for 5 years. You will need to apply for a New Passport using the DS-11 form. 

Question:  On the right-hand side of Question #1 on page 1 of Form DS82, there are 3 little boxes, D, O, and DP, Dots Code __, End #__ and Exp __. What am I going to do? Could you tell me how, or just ignore it?

Answer: This is for government use only do not fill out.

Question: Need to do a name change due to a divorce taking my maiden name back. Think I use ds82 but not sure. passport expires April 2022. Is there a fee?

Answer: Yes! There is a fee you will have to use our passport fee section to calculate the fee for a passport name change.

Question:  How do I renew my passport. Has it been expired for about 10 years? Do I still use form DS82?

Answer: Yes! If your passport was not expired more than 15 years you will be able to use the DS-82.

Question:  My passport is expired and I have been divorced, married and divorced again since. I know I need the ds82, but what all other docs, just the most recent marriage cert? I did not change my name during the most recent divorce.

Answer: You will need to apply using the DS 82 form and submit your name change information.

Question: I just got married and need to change my name on my passport which was issued on 4/13/2010. So since my passport is over a year old do I need to file a DS-5504 or a DS82 or both? I only have one certified marriage certificate. Will they take it from me when I apply or will they just look at the one I have and give it back? I live in NY and have a honeymoon scheduled for May 12, 2014. Will I have my updated passport back in time? The cost is $110.00-right.

Answer: You will have to apply using the DS-5504 with the fees in our fee’s section. They would review the marriage certificate and send it back to you in the mail along with an updated passport and old passport with a hole punch through it.

Question: Is the DS-82 Form printable?How long does it take to process application form DS-82?
Answer: Regular processing time for DS-82 application form for passport renewal takes about 4 to 6 weeks. U.S Expedited processing services take about 3 weeks to complete. If you need your passport application process quicker you could schedule an appointment to your nearest regional passport agency.

DS-82 Form, Application for Passport Renewal: Complete the multi-page online application or print and fill out by hand. Do not forget to sign the application.

What is Needed to Used DS-82 Form

Two Identical Passport Photos Include two identical professionally taken passport photos. You can obtain your passport photo at a FedEx Kinko’s, Post Office, Walgreens, CVS; these are a few places amongst others.These must meet government requirements and be 2×2 inches in size on a white background. Head coverings are acceptable for religious purposes with proper documentation as well as prescription eyeglasses.

Expired Passport Book: Submit expired or soon to be an expired passport. Passports must be in good condition. The passport will not be accepted if it’s damaged. Make sure your passport was issued within the last 15 years.

Government Fee: A check or money order made payable to the “US Department of State” in the amount of $170. If you have applied for the passport card, the total amount of the check or money order will be $200.

Documents To Expedite a DS-82 Application Form

Authorization Letter: Print one copy of the authorization letter. This allows us to act as a courier on your behalf. Please only check off the first two boxes on the authorization letter.

Travel Itinerary: Print one (1) copy of your travel itinerary from an airline or travel agency. Ensure that the travel date on your itinerary matches the date on your application. If you have questions regarding this step, please call 877-910-7277.

Please fill out our secure order form to secure your spot with the State Department to expedite your Passport Renewal. After all of these steps have been followed and executed you will then mail your documents to our recommended passport expeditor.



Related Topics