How to Change Name on Passport after Getting Married?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion I got married outside of the United States not too long ago and I wanted to know how I should change name on passport. I do not want to send my original marriage certificate through the mail. Is there any other way around that issue?

Answer There are a couple of scenarios that can result in this situation. The following link will provide you with further assistance if you do not have a marriage certificate as of yet.

If got your passport under a year, then you must provide a complete Form DS-5504, Application for a U.S. Passport: Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement as well as proof of your name change.

For routine or expedited passport services, you can use Form DS-5504: Application for a U.S. Passport Name Change, Data Correction, and Limited Passport Book Replacement. On this form, you will find two different addresses. Both addresses will be in Philadelphia. Be sure to send your documents in a durable envelope to protect them. You can choose regular passport processing, which will take about 4-6 weeks to process your passport. There is also an option for expedite passport service, which will process your passport in about 2-3 weeks. If you choose to use the expedited passport service, you will have to include an additional $60 with your payment. Also, you will have to write the word expedite on the envelope that you send you documents in. Also, we advise that you use a two-way overnight mailing process with delivery to a P.O. Box address.

However, if your passport was issued more than one year ago, then you will have to apply for a renewed passport using the Form DS-82 The link below will further assist you.

Passport Name Change