Passport and child support issues. Will I get my money back because I was turned down?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  I have recently applied for a passport and was turned down because I had child support issues. Will I get my money back after being turn down?

Answer:  Since you cannot get a passport because of child support, I can gather that you have a balance over $2500. Anyone who owes more than $2500 in child support arrears will not get a passport. Until you set up a payment method with the State Department, you will have a chance of getting a passport.

Making arrangements to start payments with the state agency is the first thing to do. After setting up your payments, the State Child Support Enforcement Agency (CSEA) will contact the United States Department of Health and Human Services or HHS. The HHS will then get a report from the State CSEA which will show proof of your payment arrangements. After the CSEA sends the payment arrangements to the HHS, your name will be remove. The HHS will then send this information to the Department of State Passport Services, where the notification will show you do not owe any child support in arrears.

Nonetheless, the U.S. Department of State will not refund any execution and passport application fees for any applicants that were denied a passport. There is one fee that can be refunded if it is applicable which is the expedite passport fee.