Will I need my Father Consent to get a Passport?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  I am currently 16 years old. When my parents split up, my father moved to another state. I live with my mother in Miami, FL and want to go on a trip to Europe. Will I need my father consent to get a passport?

Answer:  You will not need your father consent if your mother has sole legal consent. However, if she does not, there still might be an option available that does not require your father consent.

Depending on where you are, some acceptance offices may require for you to have both parents present. Others may require one parent and a notarized consent form the other parent. Whilst, some will accept a 16 year old with one parent. There is a bit of confusion in this area.

I would advise you to contact your regional passport agency to verify. The link below will take you to a list of regional passport agencies.


The regional passport agency in Miami is at:

OMNI Center
1501 Biscayne Boulevard, Suite 210
Miami, Florida 3313

Their phone number is 1-877-487-2778. You must make an appointment before going there. Please call in advance.

Many countries may require the notarized consent of the non-traveling parent for a minor to enter the country.