Family With Child Traveling to Mexico. Will we need a passport for our son to re-enter the United States?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  My wife and I will be traveling to Mexico with our 3 year old son. We have our son’s social security card and birth certificate. Will we need a passport for our son to re-enter the United States? Also we are taking our small family dog. What will be the process of taking the dog?

Answer:  Since your son is 3 years old, he will fall under the age limit of 16. This means if you are traveling by land or sea, you will need a certified birth certificate or certified copy of birth certificate, a Naturalization Certificate, a Canadian Citizenship Card, or a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. If you will be traveling by air, the U.S. requires all U.S. citizens to provide a valid passport, even minors. So in the case of traveling by air, your son will need a passport.

To obtain a passport for your child, you must visit a passport application acceptance facility in person. You will need to be present with your son as well as your wife at the application facility. If one parent cannot be present, then the parent who is present will have to provide a notarize consent letter. This letter from the non-appearing parent will grant the appearing parent permission to apply for a passport for the minor. Complete all forms and documents before going to a passport application acceptance facility. This will speed the process and prevent any issues.

Get Passport for Child   

Though regulations are not strictly enforce, it would be a good idea to compile a history of the animal’s health. State if the animal has been vaccinated, color, weight, breed, distinguishing marks, etc. Also include a photo from your home in the U.S. to show the animal is indeed from the U.S. Use the following link for more information. Taking a Dog to Mexico