How Can I Renew My Passport with New Married Name?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  My wedding is in March and my passport expires in January which is less than a week away. I will be going to Jamaica with my husband for our honeymoon. Being that my passport will expire two months before my wedding, I would like to know if my passport can be renewed with new married name so we can go on our honeymoon the week after we get married.

Answer:  When renewing a passport, you will have to use the name at the time of your application submission. Which in your case will be your maiden name since you will be renewing your passport before your wedding.

However, if you happen to fall within the period of time that is allowable, you will be able to change your name on your passport free of charge. You have up to one year after getting your passport, to have your name change on it. If you pass that time period of one year, then you will have to mail your application in. You will have to fill out form DS-82, collect all supporting documents, and finally package and send them out. This regular passport service has a fee of $75. This is for regular processing. There is an expedite service available for a fee of $60 extra.

To obtain a passport on the same day you apply, you will have to visit your closest regional passport agency, or employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you.

We recommend that your book your honeymoon ticket in your maiden name to be on the safe side. TSA will require you to have the same exact name on your passport and boarding pass. So if you are not sure you will be able to change your name on your passport in time for your honeymoon, then this will be your safest option to avoid any issues. The following link will further assist you.