What is the Process of Obtaining a Passport Card for Travel Between U.S. and Canada?

Question & AnswersQuestion:  My girl friend and I would be traveling to Canada from Long Island, New York. We will be driving and crossing the bridge and I was wondering what is the process of obtaining a passport card for traveling between U.S. and Canada?

Answer:  Firstly, you can apply for a passport card using form DS-11 for New Passport.  You can only use a passport card for land and sea crossings between the U.S. and Bermuda, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean region. Using this form will enable you to keep your passport book while you passport card submission is being processed. Nonetheless, you will have to apply for a passport card at a local acceptance facility. The following link will provide you with local passport port acceptance facilities in Massachusetts.

Passport Card Applicant Must:

  • Bring (2) passport photos
  • Proof of identity
  • Photocopy of proof of identity
  • Proof of citizenship
  • Completed, unsigned application form
  • Bring $20 fee for passport card

These documents should be presented to the agent at the passport application acceptance facility. You will be sworn in and will have to sign the application in front of the agent.

Secondly, you may apply for a passport card at a Boston Passport Agency. You will have to make an appointment using the following phone number, 1-877-487-2778.

For Obtaining a Passport Card You will need to:

  • Submit form DS-82.
  • Submit (2) passport photos
  • Have your current passport with you

You can also apply for a passport card when you renew a passport. The fee for a passport card when renewing your passport will be the same $20.