Am I able to take my 17 year old daughter to the US Virgin Islands with expired passport?

Passport Frequently Asked Questions and AnswersQuestion:  Am I able to take my 17 year old daughter to the US Virgin Islands with her passport being expired?

Answer:  You will be able to take your daughter with you to the U.S. Virgin Islands. U.S. citizens do not need a passport to travel to any another U.S. territories. So, all she will need is a valid driver’s license.

U.S. Territories are as follows:

  • Guam
  • Puerto Rico
  • The U.S. Virgin Islands
  • American Samoa
  • Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands
  • Swains Island

Any U.S. citizen that returns directly from another U.S. territory is not consider to have left the U.S. Moreover, you do not need to have a passport present.

Also, since these are U.S. Territories, no visa is necessary to travel to these territories.

However, if you would like to apply for a passport for your daughter, you can do so here:

Apply for New Passport

Regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. However, you can use an expedited passport service which can process your passport within 2-3 weeks. But, the quickest way to obtain a passport would be to visit a regional passport agency. Or, employ a professional expediter to submit your application for you.