While in Mexico My Passport Expired. How Should I Renew My Passport in Mexico?

Question & AnswerQuestion:  My wife is in Mexico for work. So, she noticed that her passport has expired while in Mexico. Will she have any issues when she needs to come back to the U.S.? Please provide me with more information as it is greatly appreciated.

Answer:  Any U.S. citizen that is over the age of 16 will have to provide a valid U.S. passport or Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) when entering the U.S. from Mexico. WHTI include Enhanced Driver’s License, Trusted Traveler Programs (NEXUS, FAST, SENTRI), U.S. Military identification with traveling orders, etc. Hence, if your wife possess one of the acceptable traveling documents, then she can return to the U.S. She must then apply for a renewal of her passport. She can do so by mail if she meets the criteria and guidelines. Furthermore, regular passport processing usually takes about 4-6 weeks to obtain a passport. You can use an expedited passport service which will process your passport within 2-3 weeks.

The following link will provide you with more information and the guidelines on how to renew your passport via mail.

How to Renew Passport by Mail

If your wife does not have any of these acceptable traveling documents to show the border agents, she will have to apply for a passport. She will be able to apply for an emergency passport at any U.S. Embassy or Consulate near her.

The following cities will inform you of where U.S. Embassies and Consulates are in Mexico.

United States Embassy:

-Mexico City

Unites States Consulates:

-Ciudad Juarez







-Nuevo Laredo

-Puerto Vallarta